Friday The 13th – The TV Series
I believe all of us will be very happy if we inherited many things from someone. But how if you find out that all of those things are cursed?
Friday The 13th The Series tells the stories about the death of Lewis Vendredi, the owner of an antique store, who made a pact with the devil for him to be immortal and worshipping them in return. Things gone wrong as he went two ways. He couldn’t stand it anymore and sacrifice his own life to break the pact.
Unfortunately things are not going well that easy. All of his antiques are cursed by evil. All inherited by Ryan Dallion and Micki Foster, both cousins, and Lewis Vendredi was their uncle. They don’t realize about the danger until Jack Marshak, old friend of Lewis, came by and warned them. Now they have to find all of those cursed antiques that Lewis had been selling to stop the evil from sacrificing human lives.
If you’re Indonesian and still watching TVRI station in 1990, I believe you know Friday The 13th TV Series very well. I remember the first episode that I watched back then. It was the cursed cup of tea. Old woman used the cup to get young again. She must ask someone to drink something from it and the cup will kill that person in exchange for her youth.
The star of this TV series is actually the cursed antiques. It can be anything. From the cup, pen, statue, doll, etc. Ryan, Micki, and Jack have to collect those antiques one by one from anywhere. Sometimes they have to work undercover to reach them. Friday The 13th TV Series has nothing to do with Friday The 13th movie series. They both have totally different story. People in Indonesia might know the TV series a lot better than the movie series.
The main characters in this series are Ryan Dallion played by John D. Le May, Micki Foster played by singer/artist Louise Robey, and Jack Marshak played by Chris Wiggins. John D. Le May was once appeared in Friday The 13th Part 9: Jason Goes To Hell (movie series/1993). Friday The 13th TV Series stretched into 3 seasons from 1987-1990. At the last (3rd) season John D.LeMay character was replaced by Johnny Ventura, played by Steven Monarque.
The official DVD for the 1st season of this TV Series has been released. Paramount Home Entertainment a month ago also announced that February 10th, 2009 is the official release date of the 2nd season. Pirated DVD? Surely, it’s available in Indonesia
1. This show started as a light and “try not to be so serious” thriller in order to build the early interaction between the main characters. However, after several episodes it got more tense and creepier.
2. The interaction between Micki and Ryan is lovely to watch. They were actually cousins in-law (not cousins by blood) and they met when they’re adults. Sometimes their characters were shown to be attracted (and also jealous) to each other. Many fans expected to see their love interest growing along the seasons but got disappointed when Ryan character’s gone in the last season.
3. The lost of Ryan character proved to be the major disappointment for the fans. Source said that he left the series to pursue other acting roles. Too bad his acting career never took off after his glowing performance in this series. Despite his leaving, this series reached its peak at the ratings on its 3rd season.
4. Several sources said that this show was cancelled of having 4th season due to following reasons :
- This series was made together with the series of War of The Worlds. Made by the same studios and shared the same space. War of the worlds was cancelled so they decided to cut this series as well for the consideration of cost.
- There’s an outcry from the parents and religious groups against violent TV show.
5. John D. LeMay is the only actor who played in this series and also appeared in the Friday The 13th Movie series.
6. There was an idea from the crew to make a hockey mask as the last antiques that supposed to be retrieved by the characters in the series finale. This hockey mask would undoubtedly have belonged to Jason Voorhees, the star villain of the Friday The 13th Movies. However, there’s never any serious intention to tie this TV series with the movie series.
Some trivias taken from imdb.com
If you’re interested to buy the DVD of this series, you can contact this number : 08179933698. He has some great DVD collections of TV series from recently released and classics. Usually he asked Rp 12.5k per disc. If you bought plenty enough he might give you a discount